Friday 31 January 2014

Home made beef ravioli


I got a pasta machine for christmas! I always wanted one, thank you santa... Few days ago I finaly had the time to play with it. I was a bit worried that the pasta might be too hard, but i was very pleased with the result. And it was such a good fun. I filled the parcels with minced beef flavoured with Parmesan and a touch of chorizo sausage which added lovely hint of spice. I had a bit too much of it so I made some meatballs from the rest. I will be experimenting with pasta in near future so I'm sure more posts will be based on this easy delicious meal. I would like to try authentic Italian recipes that have not been modified in uk or us. If you do know some please let me know.


I love how simple it is to make the dough. Just flour, egg and salt. Something I always have at home. Just knead as long as you can and allow to stand for 30 minutes to relax the gluten. Otherwise your pasta will be like a concrete. You can add spinach or rocket to make it green, beetroot to make it red or use chestnut flour instead. The choice of filling is also wide, but 3 I came across the most. Spinach and ricotta, pumpkin filling or meet filling.


This time I made a lovely rich tomato sauce, as I thought it would compliment the beef. But sage butter would be also wonderful. Lots of pasta dishes are region specific as most things in Italy are. When I talk to Italians about their food, they are often shocked about our ideas of Italian food. The combinations we choose and so on. But I guess there is nothing wrong with making a dish your own as long as you enjoy it.


For the recipe follow the read more link. Bon apetit




For the pasta you need :
200g of pasta flour
2 medium eggs
pinch of salt

For the filling :
150g Lean mince beef
25g unsalted butter
few spoons of beef or chicken stock
70g grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
2 tbsp chopped chorizo sausage

Prepare your pasta first as it needs to rest for at least 30 minutes.
Place the flour on the board, make a well in the middle and break  in the eggs. Add the salt and mix gently with a fork or knife. once combined knead properly, at least 10 minutes. Then  cover with a cling film and leave to stand.

Now prepare the filling.
Mix the minced beef with the butter and grated parmesan. Mix well, I did it with my fingers to incorporate the butter as evenly as possible. Add a pinch of nutmeg, 2 eggs and mix again. Depending on the consistency add the broth, spoon by spoon. This will create a moist mixture that is easy to work with. Now add the chorizo if using. Set aside.

To roll the pasta, divide the dough into two pieces. While you are rolling the first, keep the second covered to prevent it from drying out. Start on the highest setting of the machine, roll it through, then fold twice, roll again, then fold again. After this your dough is elastic enough and you can continue rollin it until very thin, twice on eqch setting. Cut in half, dot small amount of beef mixture on one side with a tea spoon. Wet the sides with water so they will stick better. Carefuly place the other sie on top so it covers all the filling. Squeeze all the air out and press hard to seal the parcels. ONce done, place on a tray with semolina. Now do the same with second piece of dough.

Heat water in a large pot until boil. Carefuly place the ravioli and cook for few minutes, ubtil they float on top. Take out with a sloted spoon and serve with sauce of your choice or just melted butter with sage.




No comments: