Saturday 1 November 2014

The Kiwai and it's health assets


First time I came across this tiny green fruit was at my local greengrocer. I did not even notice it as it is not the most appealing fruit, but he recommended it to me and let me try. I thought it was delicious. I have never heard of this fruit so I did some research.  Here I want to share with you what I found out.
The KIWAI is an ancestor of Kiwi. In English its called Hardy Kiwi and its also referred to as Siberian Kiwi. It also grows in Korea, Japan and Nothern China. It is approximately the size of a grape, very similar to kiwi in appearance and taste. It can be slightly sweeter.

It has been grown and collected from wild in Asia but only recently found it's way to the Western world. The fruit is very rich in vitamin C, also has a high amount of Vitamin E and Potassium. Its also high in fiber and rich in Folic acid.



The skin is smooth and fuzzless, unlike the bigger kiwi. They can have occasional brown spots as a result of temperature changes. They grow in quite a cold climate. When ready it should be quite soft, with some wrinkles on both ends. They can be eaten raw, just pop them in your mouth as you would a grape. Eat at least a handful for its health benefits to show. You will feel revitalised. Kids will also love them for their sweetness.



You can use the fruit in desert such as tarts, jams or sorbets, or with strong game meat, for example duck and pigeon, or any meat that marries well with fruit.
If you want the fruit to ripen faster, place them in a brown bag with some apples or just leave it on your counter.
Perfect in the autumn to help strengthen your immune system.










No comments: