Wednesday 24 September 2014

Informal summer dinner


This year we were lucky and got to enjoy warm summer full of sunshine. Even though I still had to go to work, evenings seemed longer and I just didn't want to waste them. Often I invited friends for dinner, just impromptu, no fuss, no hassle. Many times we enjoyed it on the balcony, or when it was few more of us, we sat around the table. This was one of those evenings. The wine was flowing and everyone was happy. The dinner I prepared was fairly simple, light and fresh, mostly inspired by Italian flavours. 



As a little snack, we had crostini with prosciutto and figs. I am obssesed with figs this year, especially when they are in the season. For main I poached cod in olive oil, with some lemons and thyme. This was served with fennel and lettuce salad and I also made one of my favourite dishes of this summer. Lentil salad with burrata on top. This is delicious. I highly recommend for everyone to try it, I will include the recipe at the end. Its light but very filling and you can add any other vegetables, I added sliced baby courgettes. You can also mix it with smoked ham hock or poached chicken for a wholesome lunch.  


This year we also had an abundance of cherries, which I absolutely love. Most of the time they are super expensive, but as we had a lot I could pick up a kilo for a small price. So it was natural that for the dessert I used cherries. Cherry custard tartlets to be precise. First I had to make a cherry jam by cooking some pitted cherries with sugar. This was placed on the bottom of each tart, with few fresh cherries on top and covered with custard. They are baked just until the custard sets. These tarts were a big success. I even packed few for my friends to take home with them.


Here is the recipe for the delicious lentil salad:

250g Puy lentils (or any green lentils)
1 large carrot
2 celery sticks
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
few springs of thyme
4 baby courgettes( or 1 smaller courgette)
1 large burrata ( if you can't find it you can use mozzarella but its not exactly the same)

For mustard dressing:
60g olive oil
10 g lemon juice
2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
sea salt and pepper
small spoon of honey

First cook the lentils. You can even do this night before. Place the lentils in a pan and cover with cold water by around 5 cm. Bring to a boil, lover the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes or so. Check the lentils regularly, to make sure you don't overcook the,. Don't add salt at this point, it will make the lentils tough. When cooked to your liking, drain them and refresh in cold water, then set aside.

In a large frying pan, put few gluts of oil and add the finely chopped onion, carrot and celery with large pinch of salt, black pepper and thyme leaves. Sweat for few minutes, then add the minced garlic. When the vegetables are soft add the lentils and a tiny splash of water and cook for few more minutes.
While this is happening prepare your dressing. Place all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified. 
Now add the dressing into the lentils, vegetable mix, check for seasoning and add the raw chopped courgettes. place on a large shallow plate, then tear the burrata and spread on top. Drizzle with olive oil and scatter few basil leaves. 




No comments: